This year, I chose to pack a box for a boy in the 10-14 age range because that age group receives the least amount of boxes. If, for whatever reason, they don’t have boxes for them, they usually are given either Boy 5-9 or Girl boxes. That breaks my heart. An older boy deserves to receive gifts that they can use and cherish just as much as younger children do. Many people decide to pack for a younger child because they're easier to choose gifts for, and they may have children around that age. Honestly, packing for an older boy is just as much fun! :)
Here's what I included:
Operation Christmas Child box for a BOY 10-14:
- Soccer ball
- I decided to start with a fun item that would be the central gift of the box. Boys LOVE balls, especially soccer balls. I want him to open the box and find a gift that he can immediately enjoy and have fun with.
- Pump for the soccer ball
- To get the ball to fit in the box, I had to deflate it, so I included a pump so he can actually use the ball.
- Hand powered flashlight
- This is a useful gift that is still really cool. Instead of getting a regular old flashlight and sending over some batteries, I bought him a hand powered one. It's super bright and all it needs is a few cranks and it's good to go! It even comes with a carabiner clip, so he can have it with him everywhere he goes.
- Men's travel cosmetic kit
- This travel sized kit include a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, deodorant, mouthwash, and a plastic reusable pouch. I took out the shaving cream because it was in a can that might explode, and I bought an extra tube of toothpaste because the small tube won't last very long.
- Bar of soap
- School pouch
- Box of pens
- Packet of pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Two packs of gum
I packed all of this into a clear, plastic bin with latching handles. A plastic bin is so useful, and he can use for other things once he's taken his gifts out of it!
If you want to see what I packed and how I packed it, check out my packing process in the video below! Just hit play! :)
(Note: I added the pencils and gum after I made the video)
Packing a box was so much fun, and I can't wait to do it again next year! I hope to volunteer in the distribution center again too, just like I did in high school. I love seeing all the shoeboxes getting ready to be shipped off to the welcoming arms of boys and girls. If you packed a box this year, I encourage you to link up with Haley of A Beautiful Exchange and join in on the #OCCBlogShare fun!
What gender/age group do you like to pack for? Have you ever volunteered at the distribution center?
P.S. Today is me and Caleb's 3 year dating anniversary!! :D Take a look at some of our couple's photos a friend of mine took!